Below is a sample of a 5:2 fasting day meal plan of about 500 calories that you can use on your intermittent fasting days.
The good thing about this diet plan is that, other than sticking to the 500/600 calories per day, there are no other hard-and-fast rules. So if you don’t like something, then change it up.
Experiment a little. Try different ingredients in your meals, different numbers of meals and snacks each day, times of day to eat, ways to pass the time (so you don’t think about food all day), etc, etc.
And if you are struggling a bit on fasting days, then make sure that you check out this post for some ideas and inspiration.
Breakfast – Green Zinger Juice = 75 calories
Morning Tea – Rice cakes with cottage cheese and tomato = 61 calories
Lunch – Vegetarian Chickpea Salad = 125 calories
Dinner – Turkey and Lettuce cups = 229 calories
TOTAL = 490 calories
Green Zinger Juice – 75 calories
- 1 medium cucumber (32 calories)
- 3 sticks celery (6 calories)
- 1 cup spinach (7 calories)
- 1 green apple (93 calories)
- 1/2 lime, peeled (10 calories)
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger (2 calories)
Blitz everything in your juicer (remove the lime and apple seeds beforehand). Poor over some ice cubes.
Calories: Total = 150 calories, or 75 calories per serving
Rice Cakes with Cottage Cheese and Tomato – 61 calories
- 1 rice cakes (9g each) (35 calories)
- 1 tbsp of cottage cheese (20 calories),
- 2 slices medium tomato (30g) (6 calories)
On the rice cake put 1 tbsp of cottage cheese and 2 slices of tomato. Can add torn pieces of basil on top or sprinkle some cracked pepper.
Calories: Total = 61 calories
Vegetarian Chickpea Salad – 125 calories
- 1/3 cup of chickpeas – rinsed (70 calories)
- 1 cup or 35g of spinach leaves or lettuce leaves, washed (8 calories)
- ¼ cup of cherry tomatoes – cut into quarters (17 calories)
- 1/3 cucumber sliced (15 calories)
- ¼ lemon squeezed (0 calories)
- 1/4 tsp. coconut oil (10 calories)
- Handful of fresh herbs – any combination – oregano, basil, parsley, coriander, chives (5 calories)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt (0 calories)
- Place chickpeas in a bowl. Add spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, fresh herbs, squeezed lemon juice and oil. Mix lightly.
- Add sea salt for taste.
Calories: Total = 125 calories
Turkey and Lettuce Cups – 229 calories
- 80g turkey mince (144 calories)
- 3 top leaves of iceberg lettuce (small bowl shape) (3 calories)
- 1/8 cup or 15g or of onion finely chopped (6 calories)
- ¼ cup of mushrooms finely chopped (10 calories)
- 1/4 cup of cherry tomatoes, sliced (17 calories)
- 1/4 lime (5 calories)
- chili flakes or fresh chili (0 calories)
- coriander chopped up finely (0 calories)
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder (2 calories)
- 1 tsp. coconut oil (39 calories)
- tamari/soy sauce (optional for extra flavor) (3 calories)
- Place 2 lettuce bowl-shaped leaves on a plate and put aside.
- Place onion in a pan with coconut oil and cook over a medium heat until lightly browned.
- Add turkey mince, mushrooms, garlic powder & chili. Cook until turkey mince is cooked and lightly browned.
- Turn off the heat and let the mince sit for a few minutes to cool down slightly. Mix through chopped coriander and squeeze over the lemon juice.
- Add the cherry tomatoes.
- Divide the turkey mixture evenly between the two lettuce bowls and serve.
Calories: Total = 229 calories
If you are on the lookout for more ideas and inspiration, click here for another fasting day meal plan.
If you need more information about the 5:2 diet why not join our 4-week challenge and be supported on your journey. Click the image below to check it out and for immediate access…