Whenever you make a change to your diet plan, it can sometimes be hard to find great tasting low calorie 5:2 diet friendly low-calorie breakfast meals that are simple and easy to prepare.
Breakfast is often touted as being one of the most important meals of the day, and for many following the 5:2 diet kick starting your 5 2 days with something tasty and filling can help ward off the sugary temptations and hunger cravings that often come on later in the day.
That’s why I love to eat something light for breakfast; as I believe it sets you up for a successful day. It helps you lose weight and keep it off.
Eating a good healthy breakfast gives you the energy you need for the day, and for some avid 5:2 diet lovers, it helps to stop the mind from thinking about ‘being hungry’.
Start your day with a low-calorie breakfast meal under 200 calories and see if this helps you power on through the day. I believe it makes your fasting diet plan all the more easier to stick to, but would love to know if it works for you too.
Why not try one of these 5:2 diet friendly Low-Calorie Breakfasts this week?
Oatmeal and Raisins Low-Calorie Breakfast Meal
Oatmeal and Raisin for breakfast is not just a low-calorie breakfast meal but also a quick and convenient breakfast. With the sweetness from the raisins and tasty flavor of this meal, you can’t resist the temptation to prepare one.
This one is slightly over 200 calories, but you can leave out the raisins or dried apple, or use water instead of skim milk to reduce the calories.
Below are the ingredients and the method to prepare:
- 1½ cups instant porridge or oatmeal (460 calories)
- ⅛ cup or 30g raisins (90 calories)
- ⅛ cup or 30g chopped dried apples or dried banana chips (73 calories)
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar or this can be substituted for maple syrup (34 calories)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (6 calories)
- 1 big pinch of salt (0 calories)
- 1⅛ cups or 280ml water or skim milk (101 calories)
- In a deep microwave-safe bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 60 seconds, and stir.
- Cook for 60 seconds longer or until bubbly and oatmeal has thickened.
- Let stand for 2 minutes.
- You can add more water or skim milk to suit your desired thickness.
Servings: Makes 3 servings.
Calories: 255 calories (approx) per serving using skim milk, 221 calories using water
Cherry Yogurt for a Low-Calorie Breakfast Under 200 Calories
This rich and creamy cherry yogurt is perfect for a quick breakfast.
- 2 cups reduced-fat plain yogurt (267 calories)
- ½ cup frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed and quartered (45 calories)
- ¼ cup cherry juice (34 calories)
- 1 tbsp xylitol (30 calories)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (12 calories)
- Place yogurt in a prepared strainer and cover yogurt with edges of cheesecloth.
- Refrigerate it for eight hours or overnight.
- Remove yogurt from cheesecloth and discard liquid from bowl.
- Place yogurt in a small bowl and combine the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate yogurt until serving.
Servings: Makes 3 servings
Calories: 130 calories (approx) per serving
If you want to prepare this for the entire family, just double the ingredients.
Let us know what you think of these Low-Calorie Breakfast Recipes. As breakfast meals under 200 calories they, are perfect for your 5:2 diet any day of the week.
For more low-calorie breakfast ideas, then have a look at our Quick Start Guide – click the image below for more information…
It would be great if you could publish all recipes with instructions for only one serve. How many serves in your oatmeal recipe?
Thanks for your comments. As this post states the recipes makes enough for 3 servings. I have included the calorie count for 1 serve = 221 calories (approx); perhaps you did not see that.
As you can imagine many meals are easy to make in larger quantities and portion them out either for the family or to be saved for another meal in the fridge.
I hope this helps.
To your health